To use a VPN, you have to install the OpenVPN software on the local PC and then configure it. In the Access section, you can download a zip file with the necessary configuration files. To install OpenVPN:
You have administrator rights.
You have already created a VPN in the Cloud Panel.
You have logged in to your local PC.
- To download OpenVPN, enter the following command:
apt-get install openvpn
- The following message will be displayed:
The following NEW packages will be installed: libpkcs11-helper1 openvpn 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 39 not upgraded. Need to get 432 kB of archives. After this operation, 1,165 kB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
- Enter Y.
OpenVPN is installed.
You have logged in to your Control Panel.
You are in the Cloud Panel.
- Click Network > VPN .
- Activate the desired VPN.
- To download the configuration file, click Download in the Access section.
- Save the zip file.
This zip file contains the configuration files.
- Extract the zip file to the desired folder.
- Copy the OpenVPN configuration file (e.g. vpn1234B_1.ovpn) to the installation directory.
OpenVPN is installed by default in the /etc/openvpn directory.
- In the /etc/openvpn directory, create a new folder with the keys.
To create a folder in the terminal, enter the following command: mkdir /etc/openvpn/keys
- Copy the following files to the /etc/openvpn/keys folder:
- server security certificate, e.g. ca.crt
- client security certificate, e.g. vpn1234B_1.crt
- KEY-file, e.g. vpn1234B_1.key
- To open the OpenVPN configuration file with an editor, enter the following command:
- Enter the correct file path in the following lines:
ca /etc/openvpn/keys/ca.crt cert /etc/openvpn/keys/<vpnID>.crt key /etc/openvpn/keys/<vpnID>.key
To start OpenVPN, enter the following command: